In any work you do, you’ll notice that preparation is a necessary step. In many cases, the preparation work is far more extensive than the actual execution of a project. The same goes for preparing the surface of your pavement for striping. Whether you are striping a road or a parking lot, a reputable contractor will thoroughly prepare the surface before applying the paint. Below, you’ll find more information on how to prepare pavement for striping and how Teniseal/Parking Striping Corporation can help.
Why Is Surface Preparation Necessary?
As mentioned above, surface preparation is a necessary step before executing the project. The road or parking lot paint will only stick to the surface if it is clean and in good condition. The more pristine the surface is, the less likely the paint will flake and rub off within months, especially in areas where vehicles turn, brake, and accelerate.
Besides, the more porous the surface is, the better the paint can fuse with it. Asphalt is more porous than concrete, which is partly why it is so excellent for roads and parking lots, but contractors can also ensure that the paint will stick to concrete pavement as well. With a workable surface and proper preparation, you will get your full money’s worth with the striping project.
Steps in Preparing Pavement for Striping
There are several measures a contractor can take to prepare pavement for striping effectively. Not all of these measures may be necessary or performed in the same order, especially if the asphalt or concrete is brand new. In any case, the steps for preparing pavement for striping include the following:
- Cleaning the pavement. One will need to remove grime, oil spills, and other debris from the surface so the paint only makes contact with the asphalt.
- Fixing pavement cracks. Once any vegetation is removed from the cracks or potholes present, Teniseal/Parking Striping Corporation will take the necessary steps to seal and refill them. Teniseal offers hot-pour crack filling, one of the most effective ways to fix pavement cracks before they get worse.
- Removing existing lines. You might also need to remove existing lines that are no longer helpful or have faded and flaked. This is especially true with thermoplastic paint.
- Sealcoating. Sealcoating shields the porous asphalt from ingrained dirt, debris, oil spills, and UV rays. It can help your pavement stay in good condition for longer.
- Surface smoothing. Depending on the situation, Teniseal/Parking Striping Corp. may also need to smooth the asphalt before application.
Contact Teniseal/Parking Striping Corporation for Asphalt Road and Parking Lot Services!
Teniseal Corporation specializes in the application, restoration and maintenance of all types of asphalt surfaces. It makes sense to trust your asphalt job to experts with the experience and technical know-how to do your project right from the start to provide a long-lasting result. Teniseal offers services for Baltimore, Anne Arundel, Howard, Prince George’s, Harford, Carroll, and Montgomery counties in Maryland. For more information, email them at [email protected], or call them at 410-485-5660 or 410-485-0717. Keep in touch on social media through Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn!